View all performances
Visit us on:
Our facebook community
The Founding Years
In the early 1930s, the orchestra was given the name by which it is still known today, the Wiener Symphoniker. The orchestra first achieved international recognition during major tours of England and Italy under the leadership of Chief Conductor Oswald Kabasta. Frequent name changes are not the only means by which to gauge the eventful history of this ensemble. During the First World War, the orchestra barely managed to avoid disbanding by merging with another orchestra that was founded in 1913, the Wiener Tonkünstlerorchester. The orchestra actually had to shut down in 1944, if only for eight months.
At the close of the Second World War, the orchestra was re-established under extremely difficult conditions. The 16 September 1945 Gala Concert for the Revitalisation of the Orchestra provided the framework for a resounding performance of Mahler’s Third Symphony. Chief Conductors Hans Swarowsky and Josef Krips were largely responsible for the post-1945 restructuring.
Wiener SymphonikerVienna Symphony Orchestra
Daffingerstrasse 4/DG, 1030 Wien/Austria
T +43 (0)1/58979-51 F -54
Information on the activities of the Wiener Symphoniker as a